K2 – The Blog

Benetton’s new ads – Do we love the “Unhate” campaign?

Posted in Our Humble Opinions by K2Creative on November 16, 2011

Just saw Benetton’s newest ads, which were launched today around the world.  Digitally manipulated images of world leaders kissing?  I’m 93% sure I love.   The other 7% (the terrible pessimist inside me) thinks using idealism/shock value for corporate profit is kinda shady.  But this is advertising.  So it is what it is.

My question is – is it legal?  Don’t they have to get releases for this type of thing?  I’ve already read that the Pope’s people are complaining (and condemning) a image of him locking lips with Ahmed Mohamed el-Tayeb, the Imam of al-Azhar mosque in Egypt .  Below are the shots of U.S. President Barack Obama kissing Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and China’s President Hu Jintao – courtesy of Unhate and a good friend’s cell phone.  In the Hu Jinato image, you’ll see the ad covers the ENTIRE entrance of the Benetton Flagship store in Manhattan.  If you’ve ever wanted to see a larger than life Obama smooching another dude…well, now’s your chance.  🙂

This is all part of the UNHATE campaign, spearheaded by Benetton’s Unhate Foundation.  Tolerance, acceptance, love, it’s all in the ads.  They sure do make a statement.  But is that statement really just “Hey, remember us? Buy our clothes!”?

Okay, now I need to meet the person who created the concept.  Do you love or hate?  Regardless, we’ve all gotta admit it’s pretty genuis – and it’s got a lot of buzz going – goal ACHIEVED.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: